Thursday, May 10, 2012

Traveling and Training

So how do you mix traveling and training?

In the month of April, I travelled for 8 days missing one very important weekend of my training. That weekend was when my training group decided to go to Clermont and go ride the hills. Miami has no hills so I missed out on my opportunity to do hills. I was busy in North Carolina working for 8 days straight, 10 hours a day, very little sleep, too much junk food, a lot of wine, no exercise,  almost gorgeous weather, tons of hills, and no bikes. Oh, and no gym, no car, no hotel room. If you have been to trade shows you know how hard it is to exercise when you're on very little sleep, on very high levels of stress, and working 24/7.

So, how many days did I exercise that week while I was gone? None. Yeah. None. Not one single day. Since I have been back, I have tried to get back on track, but it is very hard to exercise when you travel.

This past week I went to Omaha, NE. I managed to get my Long Run in on Saturday. On Sunday, I only managed to get 30 minutes elliptical at hotel gym. Again, I traveled Thursday to Sunday and missed a long bike ride that my training group had on Sunday. They biked 75 miles. I biked zero. Well, I did elliptical 30 minutes. I came back Sunday after having worked 7 days non stop, on very little sleep, and managed to go out and bike ride on Monday (solo!) for two hours on a week day in the middle of the day. Ok, I was not smart b/c I started riding at noon in Miami summer mega heat, but hey I at least I got two hours on my bike. I didn't do the 4 hours that my group had done on Sunday, but at least I did 1/2 of what I did, right???

So, next time I travel, I need to need to need to need to tell Coach ahead of time so he can modify my plan and I can do whatever the gym has without feeling guilty.

So my ride on Monday was going really well. Minus the hot drink that I had to throw out. Luckily there was a really nice water man (I knew he was from Nicaragua) b/c all Nicaraguans are the best ever!!! and I bought 2 gatorades and 2 waters from him and they were really really nice and cold! He was in a bike, so I didn't even have to go inside a gas station. I did ride down the bus lane on US1 towards Homestead. On way back to car (parked at Kmart) I was distracted, fell on sidewalk, scraped my knee, and now have an ugly green bruise with another greenier bruise next to it. At least I'm ok and so is my bike. Pics to follow later on today!

No comments:

Post a Comment