Friday, July 6, 2012

Heat Runs


Last night I did my first heat run. The instructions on my Training peaks were to run 4 miles, make sure my heart rate stayed at 145 and if it went up, walk until it dropped, and continue doing so for 4 miles. Make sure to hydrate before and after. 

 I have to do these kinds of runs for the next 2 weeks to train my body to run in the heat at a comfortable pace and at a comfortable heart rate. I forgot my Garmin so I used Chris’s Garmin with my HR monitor. The first few minutes were really hard as my heart rate was 158 by the first minute. I was able to get into a flow and it felt much better the longer that I was running. I ran with Amy and Chris, then Chris was ahead of us, then Amy and I would walk whenever my heart rate was over 145.

I ended up doing 4 miles at an average pace of 12:39. My Average HR was 131 bpm and y maximum was 172.




Tomorrow I’ll do 6 miles in the morning so I’ll compare my chart and see how I feel afterwards.



The point of doing this is to get more acclimated to the heat. We spend minimum 23 hours in a/c whether it’s in our cars, work, home, etc so my 4 hours or so of running outdoor has not been enough for me to get used to the heat.



Lets see how it goes tomorrow and I’ll be more interested to see how I feel by mid July and how my numbers look like!

So I am adding some more information on to this because I think I have figured out the why's of heat runs and the why's of heart rate run's. So training in your zone means you're building your aerobic capacity and you want to be able to build so you can go long, long, and longer without bonking. If you're anaerobic, you cannot go long, longer, and loooonger without bonking. So the whole concept is being able to complete 5 hour bike rides Heart Rate 1 or in your Zone 1 so you can build endurance and stamina. Come race day, it'll probably be a different situtation since it's a race and we won't be racing on heart rate or zone 1. And Steve wants me to build my heart rate to be able to endure heat runs because we all know that during triathlons the running portion is going to be in the heat. So little by little he wants me to build endurance and to build stamina by being out there whether it's running or cycling at 145 or less so I can eventually build endurance, strength, and last longer. Now I think my heart rate monitor was out of whack. The band was too loose. I did tighten it more and I think that it worked b/c today I ran 6 miles and I did more walking than running..



No comments:

Post a Comment